Tuesday Kids Book Review: A Circle of Seasons by Myra Cohn Livingston


A Circle of Seasons


Written by Myra Cohn Livingston

Paintings by Leonard Everett Fisher

With a title like A Circle of Seasons, my inner Waldorf-mom with pagan leanings simply would not allow me to put it back on the shelf. Thus A Circle of Seasons entered the stacks for cozy book time.

This little book of paintings circles the year with verses about the seasons followed by three shorter lines at the end of each page, which read rather like incantations in my opinion.  Thus, the book is assigned more points from the inner pagan critic.

I can’t decide if I love the illustrations or despise them, but it’s certainly going to go one way or the other. They are highly abstract representations of the seasons which either I love because they appeal to my children’s sensitive developing soul forces, or disapprove of because I would prefer more tangible illustrations of actual seasonal activities.

In any case, I like this as an introduction, or further exploration of the seasons.  Three out of four stars.


Was this book review helpful? Subscribe to Handmade Life for more!

Comments

Popular Posts