Arts Walk Spring 2014

Every fall and spring, around each equinox, our town has an arts walk where local artists have shows in downtown businesses and there are performers, craft vendors, and artists out on the streets. So last night after dinner, we headed down to check it out.


About an hour before it was time to leave we got hit with an epic hail shower and it looked like our plans might be cancelled. But the weather turned sunny again, so as we walked down the hill toward town we were greeted with this...

 






It was a double rainbow, but as the song says, I couldn't even capture it on my camera. This is the best pic I got.

This was my first arts walk with kiddos, and it definitely made for a different experience than the first time that I lived in Olympia. No late night shows this time around, but I did get to play with bubbles and sidewalk chalk and feel like I wasn't cheating.


I kept thinking how surreal it must be for a little kid to be able to walk around the streets of downtown and color everything with sidewalk chalk, when it's usually "Don't go in the street," and "Hold my hand" when we walk downtown.




We hung around and watched some street performers.





Chobie really liked these glass starfish.



And these goats.


I really liked this cat, but I couldn't get a good picture since it was in a window display.


I took an impromptu selfie in the reflection of these batiks made by a class of fifth graders. Does it count as a selfie when you're baby wearing?


A lady on the street directed us into a gift shop giving away free temporary tattoos for kids. I was pleasantly surprised to walk in and see a glass case full of an assortment of gourmet chocolates (I know, how could I have lived here for this long and not known of its existence?) and, for the second happy surprise, I found out that the tattoos were actually being given out by local children's authors to promote their new book Chicken and the Dog.

I'm looking forward to reading it with my kiddos.


It was a fun little trip. We only lasted a couple of hours, but I came home exhausted and fell instantly asleep while trying to read. The kiddos also passed out instantly.


Good times had by all.



Just Click To Send A Vote For Us @ Top Mommy Blogs

Comments

  1. What a great way to spend the day! I like that they had artwork on display from students, too. And I bet the kids loved the bubbles and chalk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it is nice to see kids included right alongside adults at the event. I love when the kid world and adult worlds are integrated, it's a better learning/living experience for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great day! I love walking around art fairs and remember having such a good time there with my sons when they were younger. I have to bribe them to go now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that there was so much for kids to do. looks like a really fun event.x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts