Our Summer Solstice

So I know that the solstice was a few days ago, but I wanted to share a little bit of our summer solstice festivities.

First, we went for a nature walk along a neighborhood trail. We talked about how the solstice is the longest day of the year, when the sun is in the sky the longest, and how the sun's light feeds everything on earth, making life possible.



Chobie decided that he wanted to make a banner to be festive, so we put this together. Can you guess who did what part?



We made some summer solstice sun crowns to wear. Chobie felt strongly about putting rhinestones on his, which didn't quite go along with my solar inspired vision of gold and yellow, but sunlight does contain the whole spectrum of colors, right?




We also made a special summer solstice nature table. (Putting the candles in the little fish bowls keeps them from blowing out in the wind.)



The main part of the festivities for us is always the feasting. Summer solstice is such a good time for celebrating with sweets: strawberries are ripe and hot weather makes us crave refreshing fruits. But, as I've mentioned before, my kids don't eat cane sugar (except in small amounts found in things like crackers and whatnot when we are in need of convenience foods, which I do try to avoid to begin with, and on very few special occasions). So we made these fruit juice gelatin solstice suns.




They aren't beautiful, and my non-skills as a food photographer aren't really helping them out either, but I know how hard it is to figure out treats for sugar-free kids, so I wanted to share these anyway.

Then we also enjoyed this (prettier) strawberry cheesecake, sweetened with only 1/2 cup maple syrup in the whole thing.



We also played with bubbles, ran around, and enjoyed seeing a few friends.


What did you do on the longest day of the year?


Follow on Bloglovin

If you enjoyed this post, PLEASE click here to vote for me on top mommy blogs. I appreciate your support!

Just Click To Send A Vote For Us @ Top Mommy Blogs

Comments

Popular Posts